Learning Unit 4 - Building a World
Adult Learners Are Adult Learners
Building world class programs begins
with the learning environment. If the learning environment presents
barriers to students then learning is limited. Think for a moment
about a workshop or presentation that you recently attended.
- What was the environment like?
- How were you greeted when you came
in the door?
- What happened during the workshop?
- Were you engaged in the learning
- Did you have fun while you were
- Did you learn anything new or a
new way of doing something?
- Would you attend the same type of
workshop or presentation again? Why, or why not?
Just like your students, you are an
adult learner. You attend workshops, training institutes, and graduate
courses. The only difference between you and the ABE student is
the level or sophistication of the material to be learned.
If your students are going to be engaged
in the learning process, you have to set the stage for learning